Rigging Reel Summer 2013





This is my Rigging reel comprising of works done in this year, majorly my shortfilm 'Psych', and few works from the last year. The rig shown in the showreel, 'Mike', is my first character Rig, and I hope you enjoy the Reel. There are a few lighting works in the end which were done last year.

I am looking for an internship this summer as a CG Generalist with more interests in Rigging, Modeling and Shading/Lighting.


Showreel Breakdown :


1. Shot from my latest short film 'Psych' , made in a production time of around 4 months. Starting from original pitch, story and character designs, then working on production schedule to finish stages one by one such as modeling, texturing, rigging and then rendering the final images. Some time the actions had to be done parallel to each other to save production time. The thing that I enjoyed most was working on the character rig and articulation. There's just so  much in it for me to learn in it.

2. Turntable of the main character 'Mike' from the shortfilm, including the wireframe and textured/shaded model.
The character was shaded using 6 different maps used namely, diffuse, subdermal, epidermal, specular, gloss and displacement.

3. Facial Rig demo 'Mike', created using blendshapes in maya, connected to curve based controllers.
My aim was to articulate the face as accurately as possible as my character was quite realistic.
The entire facial rig including blendshapes and controllers took around a weeks's time.


4. Character Rig demo 'Mike'.

Well this is the most important part of my showreel.
This was my first full character rig so there was  a lot to take care about. I had made a planning of the kind of movements the character will have to do in the shortfilm according to the story, and then listed out the kind of setups and rig I will have to make in order to be able to animate it properly. I had IK/FK for both arms and legs, as well as additionaly I had
both IK/FK setups for the fingers as well as there was a shot in my short film, where the character tries to imitate a walk cycle using his fingers, so this was included in the planning that I will need an IK setup for that.
Another highlight was the setup created for the tie of the character. It was created by using a dynamic curve (maya hair system) to drive a chain of bones, so that the tie of the character could be simulated realistically. I chose this option over cloth simulation, because it would save a lot of simulation time and gave almost the same output.

I also had to create a setup for roll bone for realistic wrist rotations, which were controlled by a set of expressions written in MEL, and for added control I also added a controller to tweak the rotation of the roll bone.


5. Few more clips from the shortfilm, to demonstrate the Rig and model efficiently being used in animation.


6. Turntable of character model/sculpt and texturing work done during the 2 month internship at Green Forest Animation, Shenzhen, China. The time taken to finish this was 2 weeks. The character is 'Betty', and was made to be used in studio's upcoming short 'Amour'.

7. Cane workshop, still image compositions of Project done last year based on the theme Artisans.
The process included coming up with original concepts for the artisan's workplace, field research to actual workshops,
modeling, rendering and final compositing, in a way that it gives an artistic feel to the place where he works and yet retains the originality of the place.


8. Photo realistic modeling and rendering of Coffee Machine, A 2 week project, done as one of the first 3d assignments last year.

9. Apples, shaded using procedural shaders created in Maya. This was a side project I was working on to experiment with procedural shading, using fractals, ramps etc to bring the final output as close as a real apple's look and feel.

10. Splash simulation, a small test done in Realflow to try liquid simulation.
And nothing could have been more eye catching as a slow motion view of a splash of water droplet.





Powered by Blogger.